Vegan Beef & Cheddar
You’ll love this comforting, vegan twist on a fast food favorite. This recipe is plant based, dairy free, and can easily be made gluten-free with a gluten-free bun! We used Sharp & Tangy Cashew Cheesy Sauce for a more traditional flavor. Have fun with this recipe by trying it with the Bold & Spicy or Rich & Smoky Cashew Cheesy Sauce too.
What are Soy Curls?
To make the “beef” for this sandwich, we used soy curls, a natural meat alternative that’s heart-happy and easy to use. We love using soy curls because they are made from a single ingredient - non-gmo soybeans. They are also high in protein with a “meaty” texture that soaks up any marinade you put them in.
- 2 cups soy curls
- 2 cups vegetable broth (heated to a boil)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp steak sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- Onion buns
- 1 jar Sharp & Tangy Cashew Cheesy Sauce
- Heat vegetable broth in a saucepan over medium-high heat until it reaches a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, cover the soy curls with the hot broth. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and allow the soy curls to soak in the hot broth for 10 minutes.
- While your soy curls are soaking, make your marinade.
- To a second large bowl, add garlic powder, soy sauce, steak sauce, olive oil, maple syrup, liquid smoke, cumin, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Remove the soy curls from the bowl and place it into a colander, squeezing to remove some of the soaking broth.
- Measure out ½ a cup of your leftover broth and place it into the bowl with the marinade, and stir to combine. Add your soy curls and allow them to soak for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the soy curls from the bowl and place into a colander to remove any excess marinade - do not squeeze this time, just allow it to drain naturally. set any remaining marinade to the side for sauteing.
- In a hot large pan or grill pan cook the soy curls until they are heated through and lightly browned. Add more marinade 1 tbsp at a time to taste.
- Assemble sandwich by layering vegan “beef” onto an onion bun with Sharp & Tangy Cashew Cheesy Sauce. Top with top bun and enjoy!