This simple, yet tasty Cheesy Chickpea Salad is full of crunchy veg, fresh dill, and Core and Rind Rich & Smoky Cashew Cheesy Sauce. It makes a perfect light lunch, an easy side to pair with dinner, or a highly-shareable dish to pass at your next gathering, as it’s vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
- 2 cans (15.5oz each) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup de-seeded and chopped English cucumber
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup Core and Rind Rich & Smoky Cashew Cheesy Sauce + more, to taste
- ¼ cup vegan sour cream + more, to taste
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place chickpeas, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, and dill to a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup Rich & Smoky Cashew Cheesy Sauce, vegan sour cream, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Stir gently to combine. Taste to adjust seasonings. Tip: if you like your chickpea salad more “saucy” add an additional 1/4 cup of vegan sour cream and an extra drizzle of Cashew Cheesy Sauce.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving. Enjoy!
How long can this salad be stored in the refrigerator?
This salad can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. I discovered that it was really creamy and delicious on the second day. Do not freeze.
How many people does this serve?
This recipe serves four people if you’re serving it as a side dish. If you are making this as a main dish or feeding a crowd, I recommend doubling the recipe.
Do I need to use low-sodium chickpeas?
This is up to your dietary preferences. I did not use low-sodium chickpeas and added an additional ¼ tsp of salt. If you use homemade or canned low-sodium chickpeas, you may find that you need to add additional salt.
What color of bell pepper should I use?
Any color works: red, yellow or orange. For a different flavor profile, try green!
Can I use dried dill?
Unfortunately, no. If you can’t find fresh dill, try using fresh parsley.
Can I use another flavor of Cashew Cheesy Sauce?
Yes! Adapt this recipe to your liking. Sharp & Tangy would be delicious with fresh parsley and Bold & Spicy would be great with fresh cilantro.
Can I use all Cashew Cheesy Sauce and skip the vegan sour cream?
Yes, I would start with ½ cup of Cashew Cheesy Sauce, then add more after tasting, if desired.
What other easy salad recipes do you recommend?
If you love cold salads, be sure to try our Creamy Cheesy Pasta Salad!