Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes
(gluten-free, plant-based, vegan)
Smoky cheesy breakfast potatoes are the hash brown casserole you need for your next brunch or ‘big weekend’ breakfast! You will love these dairy free, vegan and gluten free breakfast potatoes and leftovers are perfect the next day for lunch or even as a dinner side.
Ingredients in Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes
These smoky cheesy breakfast potatoes are served in casserole form so you can linger over breakfast longer and truly obtain those lazy brunch vibes. Oh, and did we mention they contain plant protein? Tempeh ‘sausage crumbles’ make this breakfast casserole an excellent choice for those looking to pair their carbs with a vegan protein!
These breakfast potatoes really do come together quickly and while you wait for the hash brown casserole to get that extra baked feeling in the oven, your hands are free to cut up fresh fruit or or make some Everything Avocado Toast!
Here are the ingredients you will need for this vegan breakfast casserole:
- Organic Tempeh
- Sweet Red Pepper
- Gluten Free Tamari
- Pantry Spices
- Russet Potatoes
- Core and Rind Rich and Smoky Cheesy Sauce
- Fresh Parsley (optional)
- Avocado Slices (optional)
The red pepper and onion give this breakfast hash a Potatoes O’Brian breakfast feeling as well as add additional nutritional value!
How to Serve Your Cheesy Vegan Breakfast Potato Casserole
This cheesy breakfast casserole serves as the star of the weekend brunch spread and could easily be paired with your favorite fruit or even Cashew Cheesy Chive Biscuits!
Leftovers are of this breakfast casserole are AMAZING the next day for a take to work breakfast or lunch! You could even serve them southwest bowl style with some crushed tortilla chips, green onions and salsa.
There are so many endless options to using these Smoky Cheesy Breakfast potatoes, like serve them alongside Chili Crusted Cauliflower Steaks for a plant based dinner idea!
If you make this recipe, we would love to know! Tag @coreandrind on social media.
Tempeh Sausage Crumbles
- 1 8 oz package of organic tempeh
- 1 cup of water
- 2 Tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp crush fennel
- ¼ black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- ½ cup onion
½ cup red pepper
Smoky Cheesy Potatoes
- 3 medium sized russet potatoes, washed & diced
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- ½ cup Core and Rind Rich and Smoky Cheesy Sauce*
Additional Ingredients (optional)
Additional Cheesy Sauce
1. Prepare a 9 inch pie plate or square baking dish with baking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add diced potatoes and water to a medium sized bowl, cover and microwave 6 - 7 minutes until tender.
- While potatoes steam in the microwave, add tempeh to a medium sized skillet and crumble with your spatula. Add water, tamari and spices.Cook until water is absorbed(about 5 min), add onion and pepper saute until the onion and pepper are soft (about 5 min more).
- Remove potatoes from the microwave, drain. Add to a large bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked tempeh and vegetable mixture to the bowl with the potatoes.
- Add Core and Rind Rich and Smoky Cheesy Sauce to the bowl and stir gently to combine.
- Place potato mixture in your prepared pie plate or square pan and bake 25 minute until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with avocado slices (optional).
Store leftovers in the refrigerator. See post for additional serving options for leftovers! Do not freeze leftovers.
*Notes: This recipe worked really well with ½ cup of Cheesy Sauce, but feel free to add more for that extra cheesy taste!