Bold and Spicy Chili Lime Grilled Tofu Tacos
Get ready for some summer grilling with these chili lime grilled tofu tacos topped with Bold and Spicy Cheesy Sauce! Whether you are hosting a BBQ, taking a picnic to the beach or just hanging out on the deck, these tacos are what you will want to be eating.
Ingredients for Chili Lime Grilled Tofu Tacos
Marinated tofu gets that chargrilled flavor, is topped with an easy cilantro slaw and then the flavor really gets taken up a notch with a generous drizzle of bold and spicy cheesy sauce.
- Firm tofu: we really like how firm tofu soaks up the marinade but still has a slight soft give even after grilled - but feel free to substitute extra firm if that is your preference! Just avoid using soft tofu - that won’t work in this recipe.
- Cilantro slaw: for easy peasy slaw, buy pre-packaged broccoli slaw! You can also substitute your own favorite slaw mix or chop your own cabbage. Just make sure your pre-packaged slaw does not have dressing on it - you will be making a super easy blender vinaigrette to toss with your plain slaw.
- Corn tortillas: for this recipe it's a hard shell taco all the way! Feel free to purchase gluten free ones, make your own or if you prefer a soft tortilla, go for it!
- Core and Rind Bold and Spicy: we think this works best for this taco recipe as the sweet chili lime pairs so well with the bold and spicy chipotle flavors of the cheesy sauce. BUT if smoky tacos are your preference, use Rich and Smoky cheesy sauce or if all you have on hand is Sharp and Tangy, who are we to say no?! We love all the cheesy sauce we can get our hands on.
How to Make These Grilled Tofu Tacos
For these tacos you will want to do a little planning ahead - but just so you can marinate the tofu for max flavor! After the tofu is marinated, it’s easy breezy to get grilled tofu tacos on the dinner table.
- Press tofu, then marinate it in the chili lime marinade for up to 24 hours.
When the tofu is marinated and ready for the grill, preheat the outdoor grill to 450F.
-this recipe was not tested on an indoor grill, but you could easily use that!
- While tofu is grilling, make your cilantro slaw. Blend your vinaigrette in the blender and toss with slaw.
- After the tofu is done, dice it and make those tacos!
We love to fill our tacos in this order: tofu, slaw, Core and Rind Bold and Spicy and then green onions + pico de gallo. You do you, and make your taco your own.
Storing your Taco Leftovers
You have leftovers?! Just kidding! If this happens to you, store tofu, slaw and dressing separately. Eat slaw within 24 hours. Dressing will stay good for up to 7 days and tofu up to 3 days.
Make a taco bowl with tofu taco leftovers, a lettuce wrap or make tofu nachos, drizzled with plenty of Cashew Cheesy Sauce, of course!
Did you make these? We would love to know! Tag @coreandrind on social media.
For Tofu Tacos:
- 1 - 14 oz pkg firm tofu, drained, pressed and cut into six slices
- 1 Tblsp olive oil
- ¼ cup liquid aminos (or gluten free tamari)
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 Tblsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Dash of cayenne pepper
For Cilantro Slaw:
- 2 ½ - 3 cups broccoli slaw (or preferred slaw)
¼ cup cilantro lime vinaigrette (see dressing recipe below)
- Gluten Free Corn Tortillas (hard shell)
- Core and Rind Bold and Spicy Cheesy Sauce
- Optional: Pickled jalapeno, guacamole, pico de gallo, or salsa, green onions
For Grilled Tofu:
- Drain tofu, cut into six even slices and then press tofu (try these easy methods!).
- Combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine: olive oil, liquid aminos, lime juice, maple syrup, liquid smoke, cumin, chili powder and cayenne.
- Place tofu pieces in a single layer in a shallow baking dish. Pour marinade over tofu.
- Marinate for up to 24 hours. (for maximum flavor 12+hours is best!)
- Preheat the grill to 450 - 500F. Spray grill pan with cooking spray.
- Place tofu on a grill pan for a total of 10-15 minutes, flipping once. Place directly on grill grates for a minute more to get grill marks. Alternately, you can place directly on the grill and use less grilling time.
For Cilantro Slaw:
- Place slaw in bowl, toss with dressing (see recipe below). You can do this while the tofu grills, there is no need to let the slaw ‘sit’. It can be served immediately!
- When cool enough to handle, dice tofu into squares. Place in corn tortilla shell. Top with cilantro slaw and generous drizzle of bold and spicy cheesy sauce. Top with preferred taco toppings.
- Cover and refrigerate the leftovers separately. Slaw leftovers are best eaten within 24 hours. Cilantro vinaigrette will stay good for up to 7 days or can be frozen for later use. Tofu can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or can also be frozen and then thawed and reheated.
To make Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c. lime
- 1/8 c. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 – 1/2 c. loose cilantro
- 1/4 of a jalapeno chopped very small
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. cumin
- Pinch of pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a blend and blend until smooth.
- Use in these tacos, salads and other Core and Rind recipes such as Barbeque Chickpea Salad, Black Bean and Plantain tacos or Loaded Chili Fries.